Hi loves! 5 days since my last post- sorry about the little absence! School has taken a priority over this blog, but I have missed you all dearly and am excited to catch up on some blog reading. 🙂
I feel like I’ve been studying non-stop for the past two-ish weeks now. Stats + theories of personality are two of my hardest classes this semester, so finishing my exam yesterday for theories was a huge weight off my chest.
Part of college comes studying, and part of studying comes stress and working hard. I try not to complain about it so much, because I know this is what I need to do to reach my long-term goals. And I do enjoy learning about the different theories of personality, (stats- not so much lol), so I really just embrace it and go with it. Does it mean I don’t get stressed/tired/cranky? Heck no lol. My mindset with school and academics has shifted tremendously throughout the years. My first three-ish years of high school I went crazy with school. Like I was obsessed with it- all A’s, constant stress, constant worry about assignments, freak-outs if I got an A-. It was pretty bad, and my parents got to see the best of this mess. I killed myself over school. I killed myself over having perfect grades, and I became burnt out. School was unenjoyable for me. It wasn’t till my junior year that I realized I couldn’t live life like that anymore and forced myself to take a step back.
It’s hard finding a balance with school, just like it’s hard finding a balance with anything. Extremes are easy, balance is hard. For me, I know my limits now. I know when I have to shut my books and take a break. I know when I do need to stay up later than I would like to and not get as much sleep. I know when I need a Netflix break, I know when I need a lunch date with a friend instead of eating by myself and doing work. I would say that 20 years on this planet and all the experiences I’ve been through has taught me a good deal about myself. So I trust in that. Heck, if anyone knows me the best it is me. (or my mom!!)
All you can do is your best. That’s it. School isn’t worth your mental health. Repeat that with me: school is NOT worth your mental health. Learning shouldn’t be something you dread. Yes, study for your exams. But do NOT overdo it. That just leads to no good.
Believe me- I have to remind myself of this constantly and take my own dang advice. It gets easy to get caught up in the shuffle but putting our own needs first is so crucial.
For some fellow students, these are some study tips and methods I use. I’m definitely not the study tip queen, but I thought I’d share some anyways!
- Find a good playlist. I love listening to relaxing music while studying. Spotify is the way to go in my opinion.
- Have water with you. Sipping on water helps me stay hydrated and focused. Yahoo for hydration!!
- Gum. Chewing on gum = another good way to focus better.
- Quizlet. This is the best for remembering definitions.
- Highlighters/ different colored pens to better organize info.
- COFFEE/TEA. I need my caffeine to stay alert and awake.
- Find a good study place. I love the library or coffee shops!
- Get a study buddy. Talk about the info out loud- this helps me remember things better!
- Snacks. Food = fuel. Not just fuel for moving, but brain fuel too!!
- Dedicate a certain amount of time to each subject. This helps me stay on task if I know I have x amount of hours to get what I want done.
Now tell me…
What are some study tips that work for you?
Highlight of your week so far?!
I hope you all have a lovely Wednesday!! Sending all the good vibes. <3
Facebook: Blissful Lyss
Youtube: Alyssa Cristadoro